Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Rock the VOTE, young man!

Tuesday was a historic day in many ways. First, our country elected its first African-American president. And whether you were pro-or-con Obama, the significance of this election could not go unnoticed.

It was also a big day for our family. VJ voted in his first election. I think you can tell by the photo below that this was a sense of accomplishment for him. He did a great job. He read the ballot before-hand and had everything filled out so he would be prepared when stepping into the booth. He was aware and prepared for a long wait in line, but was pleasantly surprised when there was none. I was pleased to realize that his vote wasn't just happen chance, but rather, his choices were based in reason and logic. He did his homework!




Belle & I also spent time in the voting booth. As you can imagine, the girls have been pretty engaged in this campaign. Because of her age, Belle was permitted to accompany me into the booth. Once there, I allowed her to cast her vote for President.

While I felt a bit odd giving away MY vote, I quickly realized that I could do little more at that moment, than teach my child the importance of participating in the democratic process and allowing her the opportunity to have her voice heard. It was memorable for both of us!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Are ya going to tell us who ya voted for, or hold us in suspense?? ;D

Erin said...

Yea! A great new day for all of us!! Way to stand up to Carroll County!!! ;)